It is my pleasure to welcome author Rita Lee Chapman to Coffee With Architects of Worlds Afar.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Hi, I’m Rita Lee Chapman from Queensland in Australia. I have written three books: Missing in Egypt, a romantic travel mystery; Winston – A Horse’s Tale, one for horse lovers from teenagers upwards and Dangerous Associations, a crime mystery.
2. When did you start writing?
In school I used to write long essays but during my working life my writing mainly consisted of business letters and letters home to my family in the UK. Although I started a couple of books (on a typewriter) I never finished. It wasn’t until I retired that I finally wrote my first book.
When I am not writing I enjoy playing tennis, swimming and walking along our beautiful beaches, river and lakes. We have an old boat we take out on the river and we entertain quite a lot. I love champagne and chocolate.
3. Of the characters you’ve created, which one is your favorite?
My favourite character is a horse! Winston, from Winston – a Horse’s Tale, tells the story himself. This was also the easiest book for me to write – it just flowed.
4. What does a typical writing session look like for you?
I often write when it is raining and it is too wet to go outside! I like peace and quiet and prefer mornings. I usually hide myself away in my study.
5. What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Just do it! Now that you can self-publish your writing won’t stay buried in your computer – you can publish it yourself through Amazon and CreateSpace. Unless you try you’ll never never know!
And now for a game of “Which Do/Would You Prefer?”
1. Books or movies?
2. Summer or winter?
Definitely summer, I hate winter.
3. Car or motorcycle?
Are you kidding? Motorcycles are cold, wet and death traps.
4. Ebook or physical book?
Physical – ebooks are much hard to read.
5. Staying in a hotel or going camping?
Hotel, every time.
6. Working in a group or working alone?
I like to work alone.
7. To find true love or to win the lottery?
Definitely true love.
8. To speak using ONLY rap lyrics (from songs released in the 21st century) or to speak using ONLY quotes from Austen’s books?
Quotes from Austen’s books – I hate RAP.
9. Going without internet access for a week or going without watching any movies/television shows for a week?
I’d rather go without movies/TV – you can always read.
10. Misunderstanding everything that is told to you or being misunderstood every time that you speak?
The former – you could muddle along in your own world. The latter would be too frustrating!
11. Losing your ability to speak or losing your ability to hear?
The ability to hear – you can always lip read.
12. To never again eat a piece of chocolate or to never again drink a cup of coffee?
I couldn’t live without chocolate!
Missing in Egypt is available for purchase at Amazon and Smashwords.
Winston – A Horse’s Tale is available for purchase at Amazon and Smashwords.
Dangerous Associations is available for purchase at Amazon and Smashwords.